Willamette University was established more than a quarter of a century before Oregon became a state.
Founded in 1842, it is the oldest institution of higher learning west of Missouri.
In September of 1920, nine girls founded Delta Phi. It was the second women's Greek group on
campus. These women chose to petition for a Delta Gamma charter because they had come to know many Salem area Delta Gamma alumnae. The members of Delta Phi were consistent winners of the scholarship cup and the members, who became Delta Gamma pledges in 1945, won this special award.
In the spring of 1945 Delta Phi contacted Council and official visits began. The actual petition for charter is signed May 21, 1945. By late May Council gave permission to the group to make a formal application, a favorable province vote was taken, and pledging was planned for June 9, 1945.
In September 1967, Beta Pi chapter moved from their home at 1610 Court Street to the house at 880
Mill Street following the trend of the other four sororities on campus. The chapter has maintained steady membership over the years. Beta Pi currently has 72 members and 36 new members and is thriving on Willamette's campus.